Informed Consent & Confidentiality Agreement
Protecting your privacy and the information you provide is an important principle of practice for Deborah R. Lain. As a registered member of the College of Alberta Psychologists, Ms. Lain adheres to strict privacy and confidentiality standards. As such, all information you provide by phone, electronically and in person is kept in strict confidence.
The information you provide will not be disclosed to any third party without your written consent EXCEPT in the following circumstances for which I am required by law to report to authorities immediately.
- Suspected abuse of a minor or dependent or elder abuse
- When a client intends to harm himself or herself
- When a client is threatening serious bodily harm to another person/s, I must notify police and the intended victim
- When subpoenaed for any information by a court of law
I will make every effort to have your cooperation with regards to your safety should you pose a threat to yourself or another - however, if I do not have your cooperation, I will, without your consent, do everything within the law to ensure you are kept safe and that others are not at risk.
It is your responsibility to review the emergency resources that are available to you in your area of residence (hospital, doctor, crisis line or agency, trusted friend or family member).
*** If you are experiencing an emergency or crisis, please follow the following guidelines:
- Contact a family member or friend
- Contact your primary physician or doctor on call
- Call 911 or go to your nearest hospital Emergency
- Call the local Distress Center at: 403-266-4357
- Schedule to see your therapist as soon as possible