IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING CORONOVIRUS COVID19
VIRTUAL TELE-HEALTH COUNSELLING IS AVAILABLE
In this time of heightened concern around the potential spread of the novel coronavirus, COVID19, it is important for all of us to take the current situation seriously and follow the recommendations outlined by the WHO (World Health Organization) and our local government and Health Services. We all have a responsibility to not only protect ourselves and loved ones but also to not put each other at risk.
If you are not aware of the recommendations, they are as follows:
- If you have travelled outside of Canada, particularly to a country with higher confirmed cases, you are to self-isolate for a period of 2 weeks.
- If you have been in contact with someone that is a confirmed case, you should self- isolate and contact local health authority. It is also crucial that you let others that have since been in contact with you, to be aware and also go into self isolation
- If you are presenting with symptoms of cough, runny nose, sneezing, fever and other flu-like symptoms, you are to self isolate.
- If you have been in a large group of 15 people or more (example: wedding), where you could not maintain the recommended 6-10 feet 'social distancing' and no physical contact, you may self isolate.
- The importance of these considerations for self isolation and social distancing are to recognize that we know that you could have COVID19 and not have any of the symptoms described above.
It is our social and moral responsibility to be vigilant and accountable to ourselves and each other to do what we can to lower the risk. Being proactive and preventative when it IS possible, is always wiser than being reactive and having to catch up.
During this time, I will maintain a private practice however, it will not be from my office, but offered remotely. I will offer what is called "TeleHealth Counselling" over an internet platform called Doxy.Me. It has high standards for security, encryption, confidentiality (nothing is stored) and is HIPAA approved. My professional association does not encourage Skype or FaceTime given the lack of online security both of these lack. You will need to review and sign a virtual consent form prior to your session. Payment can be sent directly by e-transfer to: [email protected] or you may stay on my website and go to Payment tab to use PayPal. You will still receive a receipt from me to submit directly to your independent insurance company for reimbursement.
Research shows that 'virtual counselling' can be as effective as face to face in office sessions. It is as necessary to consider that our emotional health is as important as protecting our physical health. The reason for this is that there is a global sense of fear, anxiety and uncertainty. These emotions negatively impact our immune system, which, we need to have functioning optimally to ward off disease. A turbulent mind creates turbulence in the body.
Navigating through this global pandemic is unknown territory for all of us, but support is available in spite of isolation and social distancing. Please consider reaching out to me to ensure that you have the tools you need to manage the ways in which you are being personally impacted by this situation. I am here to support and guide you as best I can.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.